Monday, November 23, 2009

Hot Pockets, Apples to Apples, Football, God, Bowling and The Last Song

By the title alone, you can see this weekend was one for the books.

Friday Night: Laughter is the best type of medicine, even if you are not sick. It truly just makes for a great evening. While in college, I worked for UPB, although short lived, I learned alot and grew very much. In that time, I had the opportunity to drive Jim Gaffigan to the airport. At the time, he wasn't a very well-known comedian except for his "Hot Pocket" skit. This Friday, I went to Baltimore, where I say fourth row for my first comedy show. It was truly an enjoyable experience and the company I was with made it even more so. I also came to discover that Baltimore is not an area that I would want to live or raise my children and understand the hatred that goes toward that city.
Saturday: Saturday was filled with excitement as I awoke to participate in McLean Bible Church’s Turkey Outreach – a Thanksgiving holiday food drive, if you will, 1000 volunteers, packing 6000 boxes which included a turkey, a bag of potatoes, corn, green beans, bread, cake mix and the gospel. Each box fed a family of 10. Its incredible what little time it takes to make such a huge difference.
Saturday evening was our first event at the Peachtree. It was a fun filled evening of homemade sangria, light snacks, new friends and a classic game of Apples to Apples. It makes me so excited for the next event. A monthly theme of parties might be occurring from now on.
Sunday: As usual, I started the morning off with teaching pre-school Sunday school. The rest of the day followed with a football and a good book. I know it sounds strange to watch football and read a book, while enjoying a Magic Hat #9, but I wasn’t truly loving the game the G-men weren’t being broadcasted in VA, so I made the most of the day.
Sunday evening continued with Frontline, dinner at Bertuccis and bowling. I still can not get enough of bowling. I am convinced no matter who you go with, weather you just met them or have known them forever, bowling is something everyone can enjoy. Even if you are horrible or you are some strike superstar, there is always laughter.
In the past couple weeks, I have met more solid men and women after Frontline, who I have truly enjoyed spending time with then I have in a long time. I am happy about meeting new people and expanding my social circle. I do not however look forward to cooking a steak dinner for the boys whom we lost to last night. A bet is a bet.
The night ended with me staying up until 3am to finish my recent Nicholas Sparks find, The Last Song. Although predictable, I still cannot get enough and obviously will stay up until late hours to finish the book. A great read, like always, and worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment